Page Nav



Classic Header


Breaking News:


'My baby boy is in a casket': Portland judge slammed for releasing drunk driver accused of killing 11-year-old boy

  A Portland judge released an   Oregon   man accused of a drunken car accident that killed an 11-year-old boy, according to reports. The re...

 A Portland judge released an Oregon man accused of a drunken car accident that killed an 11-year-old boy, according to reports. The release has sparked local outrage.

Around 10:19 on July 8, Portland Police Department officers responded to an automobile crash. There were reportedly two vehicles involved in the accident, including one car that was rolled over. Investigating the car crash in the Mill Park neighborhood were the Portland Major Crash Team, the Enhanced Community Safety Team, and the Focused Intervention Team. 

According to authorities, one of the drivers – 29-year-old Duprie Smith – had a gunshot wound. Another car crash victim – 11-year-old Ryan Ambrose – suffered serious life-threatening injuries, and first responders attempted CPR at the scene.

The New York Post reported, "Smith claimed in a now-deleted Facebook post that he was 'shot two times' and was on his way to the hospital when he 'passed out/fainted from loss of blood [and] crashed into another car.'" 

Smith’s attorney claimed that an ambulance was taking too long so his client drove himself to the hospital because he believed he was "bleeding out."

Ambrose was also taken to the hospital.

The outlet added, "The footage also allegedly showed Smith running red lights, swerving through traffic, before hitting the car Ambrose was in. The affidavit estimated that Smith was driving 86 mph in a speed limit zone of 30 mph, overturning his car.'" 

Ambrose was pronounced dead at the hospital.

The New York Post reported, "Dashcam footage from Smith’s car showed him 'driving erratically' and heard him saying: 'Where’s the hospital?' and 'I am going to die,' the affidavit said, according to KGW 8."

Smith was charged with manslaughter in the first degree. He was allegedly held in the Multnomah County Detention Center on DUI charges.

KAKE reported, "According to the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office, the Deputy DA in this case requested $100,000 bail, but the judge declined bail and instead released Smith on enhanced DUII conditions, meaning he cannot possess or consume alcohol, he is not allowed to use any drugs not prescribed by a doctor, he cannot drive or possess a vehicle, and he cannot enter any bars, taverns, or other businesses that primarily serve alcohol. He was released on Monday."

However, family members are frustrated over the suspect being released on zero bail after the deadly accident.

The slain boy’s grandfather, Mario Trejo, told KPTV, "He was killed by a drunk driver and now this guy is in his house watching TV and my grandson is in a case in the funeral home right now."

"We think this is not fair. What are they trying to do? Wait until he kills someone else and then arrest him? He was drunk driving 90 miles an hour. Ran every single red light," Trejo said. "This is not fair," Trejo said. "Where is the justice? We need it. The whole family needs it."

Trejo added, "It's not fair that he gets to be out on the streets when my baby boy is in a casket. He needs to be locked away. We all hurt and we all need justice. We need him to be put away."

The grandfather said, "Everybody is destroyed. I cannot tell you how the pain is. He came to visit us for two weeks. He was seven hours away from getting on the flight back home with his mom. Now mom is going to receive him in a case. Just imagine the pain."

The family started a GoFundMe campaign for funeral expenses

The grandfather demanded justice, and encouraged concerned individuals to visit the crowdfunding effort.

"Don’t do it for us, do it for the little kid. He was 11-years-old. He didn’t do nothing wrong with nobody," Trejo said online. "It's not fair he was killed by a drunk guy driving 90 miles an hour, running every single red light. It’s not possible that it was an accident. He knew if he drove like that he could kill somebody and he didn’t care. He was driving 90 miles an hour. No lights, not stopping at a single red light. So what was he expecting to happen?"

Smith is scheduled to appear in court on August 1.

No comments