Page Nav



Classic Header


Breaking News:


USA Today, Other Newspapers Drop ‘Dilbert’ Over Creator Scott Adams’ Racially Charged Comments

 USA Today   and announced they will no longer run the “Dilbert” cartoons in newspapers over comments creator   Scott Adams   ...

 USA Today and announced they will no longer run the “Dilbert” cartoons in newspapers over comments creator Scott Adams recently made concerning race.

In a “Real Coffee with Scott Adams” video posted Wednesday, Adams discussed a Rasmussen poll that nearly half of black Americans were unable to agree with the phrase, “It’s okay to be white.” Adams’ video, in which he suggested the poll results indicate that blacks are a “hate group,” went viral.

“The USA Today network will no longer publish the Dilbert comic due to recent discriminatory comments by its creator,” Gannett said in a statement Friday, adding, “At [Gannett], we lead with inclusion and strive to maintain a respectful and equitable environment for the diverse communities we serve nationwide.” 

Cleveland’s The Plain Dealer similarly said Friday that “Dilbert” will no longer be published in any of its papers over Adams’ “racist rant.”

“This is not a difficult decision,” Plain Dealer/ VP of content Chris Quinn said. “We are not a home for those who espouse racism. We certainly do not want to provide them with financial support.”

“Until we decide what to replace ‘Dilbert’ with, you’ll likely see a gray box where it has been appearing,” he added.

Adams in the video joked that he’s been “identifying as black” for some time, but must have accidentally joined a “hate group,” based on a recent Rasmussen poll. The poll, which surveyed 1,000 people, showed that 53% of black people agreed with the statement “It’s okay to be white,” leaving 47% unable to say they agree.

“Based on the current way things are going, the best advice I would give to white people is to get the hell away from black people. Just get the f*** away,” Adams continued, after commenting further on race relations and crime. “Wherever you have to go, just get away. Because there’s no fixing this. This can’t be fixed. So I don’t think it makes any sense as a white citizen of America to try to help black citizens anymore. It doesn’t make sense. There’s no longer a rational impulse. So I’m going to back off on being helpful to black America because it doesn’t seem like it pays off.”

Adams on Saturday morning reacted to the backlash online.

A lot of people are angry at me today but I haven’t yet heard anyone disagree. I make two main points: 1. Treat everyone as an individual (no discrimination). 2. Avoid any group that doesn’t respect you. Does anyone think that is bad advice?” he wrote. 

“Is it racist to avoid racists who are the same race as each other? Or is it only racist if the racists you are avoiding are white?” Adams wrote in another post.

He also retweeted the following post: “Thanks to [Scott Adams] today I learned that it’s not racist for half of black people to dislike white people, but it is racist to point it out.”

Adams also seemed to endorse a reaction video from Hotep Jesus, who said the Rasmussen poll was likely a tiny sample, not reliable, and intended to “trigger” people and divide. The pair will address the controversy later on Saturday in a live video.


No comments