Ex-Trump advisors launch 'cancel-free' social media platform GETTR to 'defend free speech' - but Donald has NOT joined and still plans to launch his own platform 'soon'

A former senior advisor to Donald Trump launched a social media app called GETTR in efforts to fight big tech monopolies and create a platform for unfiltered free speech.

Trump's former senior advisor Jason Miller created the app, which is available to download in its beta form, before its official launch on July 4 at 10am

It's description on the Apple's App Store reads, 'GETTR is a non-bias social network for people all over the world. GETTR tried the best to provide best software quality to the users, allow anyone to express their opinion freely.'

Trump himself has teased plans to starting his own conservative social media app for months and is still in the process of planning one. So far, he does not have a verified account on GETTR, and Miller says GETTR is not the app that Trump has been planning. 

A former senior advisor for former president Donald Trump launched a social media app called GETTR

A former senior advisor for former president Donald Trump launched a social media app called GETTR

GETTR¿s user interface appears similar to that of Twitter and users could pull their Twitter history into their new profile
Posts will be 777 characters long, the app will host videos up to three minutes in length, and will also be capable of hosting livestreams
The name is a combination of the words, 'Get Together.'

GETTR's user interface appears similar to that of Twitter and users could pull their Twitter history into their new profile

Posts will be 777 characters long, the app will host videos up to three minutes in length, and will also be capable of hosting livestreams, a spokesman said.

The app's headquarters are located in New York. The app is listed as restricted for ages 17+ and has so far garnered a 4.9-star rating with several reviews from users raving about it as a space for 'truth' and 'freedom of speech.'

Miller said that the name is a combination of the words, 'Get Together.' 

'Let's get together, we're talking about a sense of community. We think it will ultimately be a global platform—not just conservatives in the U.S. We want people from all political stripes to join the platform,' Miller told Fox News in an interview.

'This ties in with Independence Day. Independent from social media monopolies, independent from cancel culture; embracing free speech—our launch on Sunday is very much intentional. We believe there needs to be a new social media platform that really defends free speech, and one that doesn't de-platform for political beliefs. This is a challenge to social media monopolies.'

Miller also told Fox News that GETTR will have a live-streaming option, as well as an option for users to donate to political candidates. Miller said the company is still reviewing how it will cap users' political donations to fall within election laws but stressed that there was 'no cap for online appreciation givers.'


He added that he hoped Trump would join and that an account named realDonaldTrump is ready for him. That is the same handle Trump used for his beloved Twitter profile, which was permanently deleted on January 8 in the wake of the US Capitol riots.

Miller says that Trump is not funding the platform, with the former president still considering a potential rival. 

'The former president is going to make his own decision, it's certainly there and ready for him should he make the decision — we would welcome that. There is an account reserved for him and waiting for him but that's a decision for him to make,' an unnamed person involved with the app told Politico, which first reported the story.

GETTR's user interface appears similar to that of Twitter. Initial promotional materials for GETTR on the app stores displayed posts of users celebrating the House of Representatives no longer requiring masks on the floor of the chamber.

Trump's former senior advisor Jason Miller created the app, which is in its beta form and will officially launched on July 4 at 10am

Trump's former senior advisor Jason Miller created the app, which is in its beta form and will officially launched on July 4 at 10am

But the similarities run deeper. GETTR's app also claims to offer new users the ability to 'import copies of your content from Twitter to GETTR.' And evidence on the site indicates that the new platform is also allowing users to import their actual Twitter followers — who somehow end up with GETTR accounts of their own.

For example, Politico reported, Republican Senate candidate Sean Parnell in Pennsylvania had over 175,000 followers on GETTR as of Thursday afternoon, despite only joining the platform Thursday. His follower count on GETTR is identical to his follower count on Twitter.

The same goes for Murtaugh, Trump's former 2020 communications director, who had amassed over 220,000 followers on both GETTR and Twitter as of Thursday afternoon.

'Tweets are up to the point you join, it won't continuously suck them in. The idea is we want people to move from Twitter to Gettr,' said the person involved with the app. The person added that the app does not harvest the users current Twitter followers for the app, and again noted it is still in its testing phase.

At least one profile sending out Trump-esque tweets claims to be the ex-president, although Miller's comments suggest it is an impersonator.

Eric Trump also appears to have a profile, but has not posted anything yet.  

trump has not joined the app as of now. He was banned from Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, but has a Rumble profile through which he has been communicating with his base

trump has not joined the app as of now. He was banned from Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, but has a Rumble profile through which he has been communicating with his base

DailyMail.com has reached out to Jason Miller to find out more about the site.

Trump was banned from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube after lauding those who stormed the U.S. Capitol in the January 6 riot.

He was known to love sharing his thoughts with his 80 million followers, but that ban is now permanent. 

Facebook and its sister site Instagram have banned him for at least two years, while YouTube has suspended the ex-president's channel indefinitely.

Trump's bans stoked criticism of liberal-leaning tech companies willingness to crack down on high-profile right wing users. Critics say the firms wield too much power, and are warping free speech.

They have also slated online left wing 'mobs' who seek to destroy the lives of people who disagree with them, or who have committed minor infractions.  

Those who support Trump's ban highlight that Twitter and its rivals are private companies, and that no one is automatically entitled to use their platforms.  

Around the same time, Trump was in talks with right-wing social networking site Parler about a deal to join the social media site under conditions the app later refused to accept, New York Magazine reported on Monday. 

Trump representatives wanted Parler to grant the former president 40 percent of the company's gross revenues and a promise to 'ban anyone who spoke negatively about him,' the new outlet reported.

Parler has been in hot water after its forced removal following violent content on the platform amid the January 6 riot.

It slowly came back to app downloading services after agreeing to crack down on violent and racist content, but it's still not available on Google's Play Store, and its attempts to become a conservative rival to Twitter appear to have stalled. 

Trump attempted to engage with his fan base through his own effort called 'From The Desk of Donald Trump,' but it never gained traction and was shut down within a month of its inception.

The former president's spokeswoman Liz Harrington said that he recently joined another popular conservative app called Rumble: 'It is a great way to reach the American people in a time of unprecedented assault on free speech in our country by Big Tech tyrants,' she said.

Trump advisor Dan Scavino tweeted about his joining the app ahead of a June 26 rally in Ohio that would be his first rally post Biden's inauguration. Scavino tweeted, 'We have some great news! Head on over to @RumbleVideo and subscribe to 45's new page — where he will be LIVE at 7:00pmE tonight in Wellington, Ohio!'

More than 340,000 of his supporters subscribe to his channel as of Monday afternoon; more than 800,000 people had watched the rally.

Ex-Trump advisors launch 'cancel-free' social media platform GETTR to 'defend free speech' - but Donald has NOT joined and still plans to launch his own platform 'soon' Ex-Trump advisors launch 'cancel-free' social media platform GETTR to 'defend free speech' - but Donald has NOT joined and still plans to launch his own platform 'soon' Reviewed by STATION GOSSIP on 11:16 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.